Our Story: Teaching kale, quinoa and community since 1977.
In 1977, Dr. Annemarie Colbin started the Natural Gourmet Cookery School in the kitchen of her Upper West Side apartment. Today, Natural Gourmet Institute is the leader in health-supportive culinary education and has graduated over 2,500 chefs from over 45 countries.
Natural Gourmet Institute provides exceptional, innovative and interdisciplinary health-supportive culinary education. Rooted in Dr. Annemarie Colbin’s seven criteria for food selection, our curriculum empowers chefs, individuals and communities to be leaders in the conversation about food and wellbeing through the preparation of healthful and delicious meals. By making mindful and deliberate decisions about the ingredients we source, we are able to advocate and utilize a sustainable food system that respects the earth’s natural resources and the people who make each meal possible.
Our Core Values
- From staying true to our roots, to developing a curriculum based on tradition and authenticity, to supporting transparency in the supply chain and treating our employees with respect, we conduct business with integrity.
- We approach the world with an open mind, seek out the best and most cutting-edge information, challenge the status quo, constantly evaluate and improve our methodology, and nurture and inspire creativity. We are dedicated to innovation.
- Our students, staff and leadership are dedicated to and passionate about good food, health, and the culinary arts. We never stop striving for the perfect recipe, the most ideal garnish, the most sustainable food system or the most advanced research. We constantly drive towards excellence.
- Each decision, partnership and action is made mindfully and is viewed as an essential piece of an interconnected whole. We act with purpose and respect.
- Independent Thinking
- As the leader in health-supportive culinary education, we empower people towards realizing optimum health through food and inspiring others to do the same.
- From seed, to farm, to chef, to table, we take pride in sharing this incredible journey with everyone involved. Each meal takes a tremendous group effort--and when the table is set and the food is served, we derive great joy in sharing it with our community.
- We recognize the need to be mindful of the eating habits and the healing methods of our ancestors. We place great value on honoring and exploring these traditions across all cultures. We derive knowledge from traditional practice.
What I love best about Natural Gourmet Institute’s culinary program is its consistent emphasis on deliciousness. It proves my point: healthy food tastes good and always should.
Professor, advisor and award-winning author